"Ethnic and Cultural Diversity"
Workshops, conferences 2014
- Start: Jul 7, 2014 09:00 AM
- End: Jul 11, 2014 01:00 PM
- Location: Minzu University in Beijing
For more details please contact vdvoffice(at)mmg.mpg.de.
- Peter van der Veer
- Joseph Bosco
- Da Wu
- Yongjia Liang
- Dan Smyer Yu
Social theories of inequality and diversity in relation to questions of religion and ethnicity. These theories are discussed in general, but also in relation to the ethnography of Asia and China in particular. The theoretical framework that is offered in the summer school has been developed at the Max Planck Institute and is applied in fieldwork sites all over the world.
The purpose of the MPI summer school at Minzu University is to educate students, but also to select the best students for Ph.D. and Postdoctoral scholarships. Ph.D. and Postdoctoral fellowships will be awarded depending on the quality of the applicants at the end of the summer school. Successful candidates will receive a four year fellowship for PhD or a 2 year fellowship for Postdocs. The dissertation of the Ph.D. fellowships will be defended at Utrecht University.
The research will be done in collaboration with the Center for the Study of Ethnic and Cultural Diversity in China at Minzu University in Beijing. The projects have to be on the following topics:
1. Study of the relations between Yi and Miao in Sichuan, Yunnan, and Vietnam
2. Study of the effects on ethnic minorities of the opening up of S.W. China to S.E. Asia
3. Social networks beyond ethnicity in China: Case study of the classmates and alumni of Minzu