Steven Vertovec: "The Future of Migration. Issues and Challenges in Post Pandemic Societies"
- Date: Mar 29, 2023
- Time: 02:00 PM - 03:30 PM (Local Time Germany)
- Speaker: Steven Vertovec (MPI-MMG)
- Location: Web-talk
- Host: India Offices of Max Planck Gesellschaft & University of Göttingen
The Covid-19 pandemic has impacted the very fabrics of societies. With the onset of the pandemic and the ultimate shutting down of businesses, industries, academic institutions, religious and other public places, freedom of movement has been significantly restricted in public life leading to unimaginable uncertainties for the future. The pandemic is far more than a health crisis; it has further implicated economies, politics, ecology, human relationships, labour market, socio-religious practices, legal and educational systems, thus illustrating that the cause and effect of migration are interwoven and undergoing the process of fundamental change. This web talk will try to explore the social impact and lesson learnt from the pandemic; to examine various academic approaches in addressing the future of migration in post-pandemic era in order to build a robust and healthy society.
- Prof. Steven Vertovec, Founding Director at the Max-Planck Institute for the Study of Religious and Ethnic Diversity, and Honorary Professor of Sociology and Ethnology at the University of Göttingen, Germany
- Prof. Aparna Rayaprol, Professor and Former Head, Department of Sociology, University of Hyderabad
- Prof. Sabine Hess, Professor at the Institute for Cultural Anthropology/European Ethnology and Managing Director, Center for Global Migration Studies (CeMig) University of Göttingen
- Prof. Manish Jha, Professor, School of Social Work, Tata Institute of Social Sciences, Mumbai
- Dr. Zeynep Yanasmayan, Head of Migration Department, German Centre for Integration and Migration Research (DeZIM)