"Workshop in Visual Ethnography"
Workshops, conferences 2017
- Beginn: 09.03.2017 10:00
- Ende: 10.03.2017 11:15
- Ort: MPI-MMG, Hermann-Föge-Weg 11, Göttingen
- Raum: Library Hall
For more details please contact cziesielsky(at)mmg.mpg.de.
Thursday 9 March
- Introduction: what is visual ethnography?
- The practice of ethnography: seeing with and without the camera
- Active observation and incidental attention
- Looking at and looking with
- Making visual data
- Experiencing ourselves as seeing subjects
- Beyond words: seeing what can’t be spoken
- An example: the embodied labour of fishmongers
- Going out into the field: using photography to explore the social
11.15-11.30am Coffee break
- Looking at what we see and seeing what we look at: participants present their images from the morning
- Seeing and feeling: atmosphere and affect at the edges of vision
- The significance of ‘failed’ images
- Immersion: using the visual to handle the sensory excess of being in the field
- Audio-visual combinations: the value of sound and silence
- An example: looking for rhythm (at a fish market)
- Going out into the field: using film to explore the social
4-4.15pm Coffee break
Friday 10 March
- Participants present their images from the afternoon (yesterday)
- Representation and evocation: the vitality of the visual
- Making sense: the visual as a means of showing social life and as a tool for analysis
- Filming and editing as a ‘creative-analytic process’
- An example: The Passage of Fish
- Visual ethnography: what is it good for?
- Conclusions: cultivating the ethnographer’s ‘skilled vision’
11-11.15am Coffee break
Participants will need to bring a mobile phone which has a camera or a digital camera will be provided to take part in the activities. Please also bring anything you would need to upload your images to a computer!