"Super-Diversity: Comparative Questions"
Workshops, conferences 2012
- Beginn: 27.09.2012 08:30
- Ende: 28.09.2012 14:30
- Ort: MPI-MMG, Hermann-Föge-Weg 11, Göttingen
- Raum: Library Hall
Assuming that processes and manifestations of super-diversity are varied in different contexts, one goal of the workshop is to chart a variety of (new?) forms of urban diversity as well as to assess the impacts of these forms or urban social contexts. The Workshop's emphasis will be on developing a global comparative perspective on the various constellations and ways of studying super-diversity in cities around the world. The term itself will also be interrogated with regard to its usefulness, or not, in working towards better understandings of contemporary urban settings and migration dynamics.
Questions to be posed at the workshop include:
- What are the links between changing migration patterns and changing patterns of super-diversity?
- Are there other aspects of social and spatial differentiation that ought to be part of how we understand migration-driven urban diversity?
- What are the consequences of applying a super-diversity lens to the challenges of social and economic integration of migrants in cities?
- How can super-diversity variables such as new migration flows, legal statuses and labour market trajectories be better conceptualised for social science research?
- What are the most suitable approaches to, and methods for, studying super-diversity?
For more details please contact esser(at)mmg.mpg.de.