Steven Vertovec is the Founding Director of MPI-MMG and Honorary Joint Professor of Sociology and Ethnology, University of Göttingen. Previously he was Professor of Transnational Anthropology at the Institute of Social and Cultural Anthropology, University of Oxford, Director of the British Economic and Social Research Council’s Centre on Migration, Policy and Society (COMPAS), and Senior Research Fellow at Linacre College, Oxford.
Currently co-Editor of the journal Global Networks and Editor of the Palgrave Macmillan book series ‘Global Diversities’, Prof. Vertovec has held fellowships at the University of California, University of Warwick, Free University Berlin, Humboldt University Berlin, University of British Columbia and Wissenschaftskolleg (Institute for Advanced Study), Berlin. His research interests surround globalization and transnational social formations, international migration, ethnic diasporas and contexts of urban diversity. He is author of Hindu Trinidad (Macmillan, 1992), The Hindu Diaspora (Routledge, 2000), Transnationalism (Routledge, 2009) and Super-diversity (Routledge, forthcoming) and editor or co-editor of thirty-five volumes including Islam in Europe (Macmillan, 1997), Migration, Diasporas and Transnationalism (Edward Elgar, 1999), Conceiving Cosmopolitanism (Oxford University Press, 2003), Anthropology of Migration and Multiculturalism (Routledge 2009), The Multicultural Backlash (Routledge 2010), Migration (five volumes, Routledge 2010), Migration and Diversity (Elgar, 2014), the International Handbook of Diversity Studies (Routledge, 2015) and Diversities Old and New (Palgrave, 2015).
Prof. Vertovec has acted as expert or consultant for numerous agencies, including the Expert Council of German Foundations on Migration and Integration, the UK government’s Cabinet Office, National Audit Office, Home Office, Department for International Development, Department of Communities and Local Government, the British Council, the European Commission, the G8, World Bank and UNESCO.
- Director, Max-Planck-Institute for the Study of Ethnic and Religious Diversity, Göttingen, Germany
- Honorary Joint Professor of Sociology and Ethnology, University of Göttingen, Germany
- Supernumerary Fellow, Linacre College, Oxford
- Backlash against multiculturalism? European discourses, policies and practices (completed) (with Susanne Wessendorf)
- Between accommodation and integration: comparing institutional arrangements for asylum-seekers
- Conditions of conviviality and conflict (completed) (with Andreas Wimmer (University of California Los Angeles) and Stefan Lindemann)
- The diversification of postwar migration (completed) (with Alan Gamlen and Norbert Winnige)
- DivA · Diversity Assent in Urban Germany (Karen Schönwälder, Lucas Drouhot and Steven Vertovec, in cooperation with Sören Petermann (Dortmund University))
- Diversity and contact (‘DivCon’) (completed) (Project leader: Karen Schönwälder • with Sören Petermann, Jörg Hüttermann, Thomas Schmitt, Mijal Gandelsman-Trier, Christian Jacobs, Miles Hewstone and Katharina Schmid (both Oxford), Dietlind Stolle (McGill))
- Diversity and integration in Frankfurt (completed) (with Regina Römhild (Ludwig-Maximilian-Universität München), Amt für multikulturelle Angelegenheiten in Frankfurt)
- Diversity of asylum seekers’ needs and aspirations (completed) (with Susanne Becker, Annett Fleischer, Miriam Schader, Shahd Wari)
- Ethno-religious diversity and social trust (completed) (with Miles Hewstone (University of Oxford), Anthony Heath (University of Oxford), Ceri Peach (University of Oxford) and Sarah Spencer (University of Oxford))
- GlobaldiverCities (‘GloDiv’) - Migration and new diversities in global cities: comparatively conceiving, observing and visualizing diversification in urban public spaces (completed) (Project leader: Steven Vertovec • Researchers: Sofya Aptekar, Anna Cieslik, Beate Engelbrecht, Dörte Ulka Engelkes, Laavanya Kathiravelu, Raji Matshedisho, Alexei Matveev, Anna Seegers-Krückeberg, Alex Wafer, Junjia Ye, Abbas Yousefpour)
- Migration (completed)
- Migration and diversity (completed)
- Multiculturalism (completed) (with Gerd Baumann (University of Amsterdam))
- The Routledge International Handbook of Diversity Studies (completed)
- Super-diversity, South Africa (completed) (with Robin Cohen and various colleagues at the Universities of Cape Town, Stellenbosch, Johannesburg, and Witwatersrand)
- Transnationalism (completed)